This post is all about being thankful.
Yesterday, T and I wandered across the street to speak to our neighbour. We had recently heard that the lady that owns the house and her boyfriend are engaged. It is a happy joining in their lives, and since we hadn't seen either of them in about a week, we thought we say hi after they rolled into the driveway on a new Harley. The man was proudly showing the new bike to my hubby, with all the comfort features that come with the fully dressed bike. Me and the lady chatted about how she's getting moved in with the fiancee and still deciding what to do about the house (she just rennovated top to bottom). We enjoyed the small talk for a few minutes, and each carried on with our days, the happy couple leaving on the bike shortly after....
... a couple hours later, a police officer showed up at the lady's front door. Then approached T asking where the next of kin could be found. Tragically, the couple had met with an accident on the highway and were in critical condition.
... this morning we heard on the radio that two died in hospital overnight due to a motorcycle accident. Female, age 40 and Male age 51. No names were released waiting to notify next of kin.
... I cried. She has a 20 year old daughter and the fiancee has 2 young-adult sons. He also has a sweet pitbull dog and a few rental houses, she has a tenant downstairs in her house, and a cat too. Many lives are going to be affected by this tragedy. All for the sake of a ride on the highway.
So now I am embracing my husband, thankful that he did not die from the motorcycle accident he had just before we married. I embrace him thankful that he no longer takes risks on the road. I embrace him for 16 years of marriage and every moment we get to share as a genuine couple -- it is a priceless gift that I am so thankful for!
My heart is calling to the family of that couple.... I don't know what I can do to help them, I so want to help them. The house across the street is empty... so empty. I think I should mow the lawn for them, what else can I do?
3 comments:
That's so sad.
Always, always let the people you love know you love them. :(
I'm so sorry to hear about this. So sorry. :(
I read this yesterday and had to walk away to process what you wrote. I think mowing the lawn is a wonderful thing to do for the grieving families left behind. If you know the children left behind, food never goes astray or a gift card to a local bakery, grocery store, etc.
Post a Comment